Tuesday 22 June 2010

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Well basically the title says it all. It is 4:30am and I am supposed to be writing an essay on metaphor that actually counts towards my degree, but I am not. Now that is procrastination for you. My latest gripe is that MY BLOODY WINDOW WON'T STAY OPEN. And my room is like, unbearable. In all seriousness I don't think I've ever even been in a sauna this hot *gets slightly sidetracked at this mention of saunas into fantasising about appres ski swimming pools*; the radiator is on (it is JUNE, for crying out loud; St Hilda's is a poor college by Oxford standards, they could at least spend their money on something that might actually help people instead of making them faint with dehydration and do socially unacceptable things like walk up and down their mixed gender corridor in underwear) and the window is one of these COMPLETELY HOPELESS Victorian sash jobbys where you shove the entire lower pane upwards - but as soon as you let go of it it just falls back down again with a bang. Once it did it on my little finger. I might have uttered a few obscenities. The window is currently propped open with a stack of pillows - this is OK as an interim measure as clearly I don't need pillows when I am pulling an all-nighter, but not really very practical. Obviously if it rains and I am hot sometime the pillows will get soaked. Then if I am hot at night I do actually need to rest my head on something in order to sleep and I would kind of prefer it if the something wasn't my Riverside Chaucer or the complete works of Austen - although it has happened. Then, what if the pillows fall out and land in someone's face as they are walking down the street underneath my window? They might get a bit of a surprise. And if it's the scary guy with the red moped that haunts Iffley Road I might conceivably get a stone chucked back at me. So yeah I think I will complain to the JCR maintainance when I am not preoccupied with doing important stuff innit.

Another gripe is HOW EARLY IT GETS LIGHT these days. Now my window is like right next to my bed and as I lie in bed my head is facing it, and the blind hangs about an inch away from the window. When I shut my poor aching eyes at 3am and seek temporary oblivion all I can see is this glaring chink of brilliant blue which becomes burnished ultra-violet through my eyelids and just will not bugger off whatever I try. But 3AM??? I ASK YOU!!!! 3am is NOT day by any standards; it is night, and to my knowledge Oxford ISN'T IN THE FLAMING ARCTIC CIRCLE.

Speaking of which, it is now 5am and properly light. And my essay still consists solely of an introduction. Yikes!!!!!

Blog later.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment